Sunday, December 09, 2007

Ring them bells

"Let's leave a little early tonight for the church Christmas banquet. And on our way I would like to stop at the shopping center," I said to my wife. There is usually a volunteer for the Salvation Army collecting money for the poor." I was angry and this offering would be a protest vote of sorts.



A week ago, the bells which the volunteers traditionally ring to attract passers-by had been silenced. This action followed complaints of some "scrooge" customers who claimed that the ringing of the bells was very annoying and offended customers. The Salvation Army willingly complied with the request of some shopping malls. Then the customers spoke. They said NO to no more bells. Let them ring. Its all about giving and giving is all about Christmas.



We parked our car at the shopping center and I spotted a bell ringer outside the liquor store. I normally would drop in a few coins. This time I folded my offering and pushed it through the slot in the kettle. And I said to the volunteer, "Keep those bells ringing." He smiled and said "Thank you."



I walked back to the car and said to my wife, "I should have said,

"Ring them bells

Ring them louder

Bring out the guitars

Bring out the horns and blow the trumpets

Bring out the whole orchestra and let this town know that if there is generosity in the hearts of the people, there will be no animosity in the streets and homes of our city."



"Blessed is he/she who considers the poor, the Lord will deliver him/her in time of trouble." Psalm 41:1



This could turn out to be the biggest global warming - of a different kind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home