Sunday, March 18, 2007

Thankful

I have a friend who is 96 years young. He is in a care home and is almost blind. His hearing is good and his mind is sharp. He used to be an avid golfer and when I told him a week ago that our local golf course was open, he smiled and said, barely above a whisper, "A hole in one, a hole in one." So I played my first game of the season. Maybe I should say I was stepping off the distance from tee to t(r)ee. The next day the course was covered with a blanket of snow. It was a short season.

Getting back to Frank. In a way I envy Frank. I can't say that I would like to take his place in the care home where he needs help for every little task. But Frank has a healthy attitude. Since I have known him, his reply to: "How are you?" has always been, "Thankful" I believe that is an attitude which can get us through a lot of pot holes in life's journey.

Just for fun I wrote 3 lines of a simple rhyme and asked a group of seniors to make up words for a 4th line. Here it is - try it.
The seasons are winter, fall summer and spring.
There's beauty in each to behold,
We don't know the myst'ry that each season may bring.
[ ]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home